Welcome to No Books of Men! We are a modern alternate history board set in a magical school nestled in the Columbiana Valley of the Rocky Mountains. Students of the Collegium Illustrata Columbiana (commonly called simply The Academy) are free to explore their wildest imaginations in learning the mystic arts, so long as it does not jeopardize the ongoing Shadow War with the Exarchs. How will you live up to the legacies of Merlin?

darkkenchild is the Head Admin here at No Books. He enjoys long walks on the beach and debating the metaphysical underpinnings of reality, so any questions about your character , the plot of No Books, and/or how magic works on the site, please do not hesitate to ask him.

Squeeji is the head of “Human Resources” here at No Books, and responsible for pretty much everything related to our contact with the outside world. Advertising, orientation, and just about anything to do with bringing in new blood is in her wheelhouse.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Habardr's Plotter
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Nov 12 2014, 07:37 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

WALTER ALBRECHT VON RICHTOFEN
user posted image

•Goes By: Walter Richardson, Walt
•Group: Alumni
•House: Solificati
•In A Nutshell: Blunt, Serious, Honest, Dedicated, Forthright
•Marital Status: Widowed
•Play By: Dolph Lundgren
•Application: Here

PM »Email
^
darkkenchild
 Posted: Nov 13 2014, 10:43 AM
Hermes
Man with a Plan
Group Icon

Lawrence and Walter: I really want to do a thread with these two. They're both groundsmen at Columbiana, so there's a natural reason for them to interact. That said, I think the two interacting would be interesting. Where Walter is blunt and serious, Lawrence talks heavily in metaphors (and poetic/philosophical references) and borderline playful. Where Walter is direct, Lawrence is circuitous. You could say that Lawrence and Walter are heaven and earth respectively, the latter with his feet firmly planted on the ground and the former with his head in the clouds. I think it'd be an interesting contrast. Also, Lawrence is a werewolf. Dunno if that'd make a difference to Walter, but either way it isn't exactly something Lawrence broadcasts, so Walter might not even know for sure...

Jen and Walter: Another study in contrasts. Jen spends almost all of her time in the woods surrounding Columbiana, only coming in to the Log House when she needs to teach her classes. As such, I think the two have run into each other, but where Walter works with the physical health of the grounds, Jen focuses on the spiritual side of the Valley. Perhaps amongst the strangeness in Columbiana, some of the woods south of campus are dying and the two both end up exploring why, just on opposite sides of the Spirit Wall, and discover they're both looking for the same thing?

Tom and Walter: Woof... These two couldn't be more different. Tom's an energetic adventurer who barely sits still long enough to teach phys ed classes. However, he's equally blunt and is also honest to a fault. Could be interesting to see how a couple of Scandanavian boys would interact, one from the home country and the other after a few generations living in the American Midwest. There's just enough of a cultural connection to seem interesting to me. Not to mention it could be interesting to see Walter get drug along on one of Tom's adventures if you were interested in something like that.

I have many more characters, PC and NPC alike, that could be dragged out for some play. I only bring up those that stood out to me at first brush. If you want to check out the others I have floating about, feel free to hit up my plotters!
PM »
^
Squeeji
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 02:45 AM
:3
N/A
Advanced Member
Group Icon

Chuck and Walter: Chuck is probably in perfect contrast to Walter, he minces his words, he really can't say what he means. He fill the void of silence with words simply because sometimes he can't handle it. But Chuck does have a very handy knack of being exactly where he needs to be when he needs to be there. Sometimes it's for something catastrophic but more often it's because the simplest change starts with one, tiny figure. Of course because of this time is irrelevant to him, but people...people are most important. So he has a habit of listening even as he chatters on.

The current Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor (a position few understand WHY he has), I could see Chuck and Walter getting along at least Chuck wouldn't mind Walter in the least. After all, they're part of the same House, and they're both strong believes it seems of mind over body. I'm not certain but it could be fun, any suggestions?

Noah and Walter: Noah is an older member of the Ordo Paradigma ...but also a member of the Society of Ether. Which means...Noah is a goddamn mad scientist. He's not exactly the evil sort, but he's played both sides of the field if you asked anyone who knows him. He's hyperactive, a bit hard to handle and just about the biggest terror on campus. Yet they hired him on as the Engineering professor. . That said, Noah is about steadfast and true a companion that anyone could want, so if Walter could look past how weird he is, maybe they could get along.

Kate and Walter: Blunt. Meet blunt. Kate isn't a mage, and she sure isn't a human either. Only a scant few have the ability to see her for what she really is. Everyone else sees her as a mean girl with a touch of an entitlement issue. Which really isn't the case if you get to know her, she's a rather down to earth girl with expensive tastes is all...and a temperament best kept with small miserable beasts of burden. However Kate is one with nature, it's as though the very rocks, waters and trees bend to her whim...something that maybe a groundskeeper would take note of. Of course, whether or not it would be dangerous to approach her while she's on the hunt is another matter entirely.

Six and Walter: Six is...by reputation not a well liked man. He causes trouble for the good people of the university, he spends an awful lot of time by deep lake, and he doesn't have many excuses for himself. His gang, The Black Cats are known for being just the worst sort of people, and he doesn't divulge his position as a Gardener. Some terrible things are said about Six...and a great deal of them are true. But the fact of the matter is, there is a good chance that Walter has had to deal with Six Deep a couple of times.
PM »
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 08:28 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

Walter & Lawrence:
These could make for a really interesting pairing. I don't think Walt has any means of divining Lawrence's true nature, but I'm not sure it would really bother him. If Walter finds him agreeable then that is all that matters to him. A scene with these two is required, yes.

Walter & Jen
Being a bit of a pagan and an Asatruar, too, Walt is used to the idea of working with/considering the wights (spirits of place) in a given area. He just doesn't really have much in the way of ability in that kind of thing. He concentrates, then, on the physical health of a place (as you say). They would naturally find themselves bumping into each-other, I feel. Walt would also be a little jealous of her more rural/feral lifestyle. He has harboured a desire to shake off yet more civilisation from his life for quite a while.

Walter & Tom
Well, Walt is all about physical culture and so these two probably have more in common than just their heritage. Having said that, Walt doesn't really compete - not since the fights he got into when he was younger, at least. Perhaps there's something Scandinavian going on that causes them to meet? Or they could just be training at the same time, though walt doesn't really do the whole gym thing.

PM »Email
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 09:19 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

Walter & Chuck
A scene between these two would most likely rely on their House connection. Walt isn't really a typical Solificati. He doesn't really wax arcane too much. He just trains - but there is something very spiritual in the way he does so - however many scientific references he might use. They would be very different, but we could well find that they compliment each-other, too.

Walter & Noah
Walt is usually pretty good at seeing past the weird. Having said that, Walt isn't perhaps as active a member of Ordo Paradigma as he should be. Really, he justifies his work/abilities by referencing psychology and biomechanics, or maybe traditional chinese medicine. So, he's not really a mad scientist, more an evil physical education instructor. Theory doesn't really float Walter's boat. But they could very well end up getting along. Just cos people who are so different very often do!

Walter & Kate
These two might well make a good pair. Walt agrees with her that might makes right. Where he would differ, though, is on the responsibilities that the self same might brings. Walt knows that having made himself strong allows him to force his will upon others - should he feel the need. But he has a strong sense of community, despite his coldness, and that means he's maybe a bit more of a good guy than Kate might like.

Walter & Six
To Walter, reputations are very important. Despite the fact he doesn't care for people's opinion of him, and he certainly cares nothing for whether people like him, he does care a great deal about what he is known for. Hence, he works hard and keeps to himself. Walt would probably be wary of Six, but would try to judge him on his own terms, regardless of reputation. So, if they have come across each-other before, Walt might be better disposed toward Six than most.

PM »Email
^
Squeeji
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 04:16 PM
N/A
Advanced Member
Group Icon

Chuck and Walter: Well Chuck isn't much of an alchemist himself, if we want to get to 'House normal' his is more an improvement of the soul on his end, lead into gold on a personal and internal level. So while he's less arcane, he's more metaphysical to the point of staring off into star stuff...then again, that's what you get from a clever old navel gazer like Chuck.

Noah and Walter: They could, of course, how they'd meet is a completely different issue...Noah is a lab junkie, he's typically in the Turing building doing god knows what. Usually cleaning up after dumb students, or creating his own horrors, giant robots, death rays, horrible hybrid monsters...you know how it goes.

Kate and Walter: Kate would be hard pressed to trust a mage, which is the typical townie here in Columbiana. She would certainly tolerate him in her own strange way (which follows a bit of verbal abuse). Her run in with the supernatural makes it hard for her to trust, and her nature is to push back when pushed, but there is no honor to her, she'll go for the low blow every time if it means she'll come out ahead, she's the survivor not the warrior and a hunter through and through.

Six and Walter: There is a fair amount of honor to Six however, funny enough. But it's not normal 'human' honor, his is the honor of spirits, of pacts and bans. So Walter would be right to be wary of him. But 9/10 times Six is the sweetest guy you could hope to meet.very community oriented- but there are a lot of claims that the leader of the Black Cats participates in some pretty dark arts and despicable acts.
PM »
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Nov 15 2014, 05:21 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

darkkenchild

I think a scene with Lawrence (first) would be great as it'd give me a great opportunity to establish the roots of Walter's character quite early. I could start a thread in the grounds of the University to get them to meet.

Squeeji

To my mind, a scene with either Chuck or Kate first would be most helpful for Walter as they'd both allow me to develop sides of Walter's character that intrigue me, but that I have quite managed to hammer out the way I wanted in my app.

Having said that - all those characters - both sets - need to meet Walt at some point. They all sound great to RP with and will help me properly establish Walt as a character.

PM »Email
^
Zane DuBois
 Posted: Dec 3 2014, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Zane and Walter: So I think that these two would make for interesting friends, since the Scrying professor is a gentle and compassionate person who has a bad habit of losing himself in the ebb and flow of the ethereal magic around him...which could translate to him walking from the library and winding up in the forest without remembering how he got there to begin with. So having a friend who is a groundskeeper would be beneficial, I guess.
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Dec 31 2014, 09:47 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

Sorry for the late reply.

Zane sounds like an interesting counterbalance to Walt's very pragmatic nature. It could make for an interesting scene, at the very least and perhaps an even more interesting friendship, should the RP lead that way.

Feel free to create a thread or PM me with any RP ideas. I am feeling like ramping up the RP that Walter is involved in...

PM »Email
^
Squeeji
 Posted: Mar 2 2015, 05:11 PM
N/A
Advanced Member
Group Icon

I'm gonna hit this back up again and see if you'd still be interested in one of the above interacts OR...some of my newer characters.

Quentin & Walter- Quentin is BFFs and roommates with Julio, one of the other groundskeepers (let that one sink in for a moment lol). But given that he's probably always hanging around, him and Walter probably know each other and so long as Quentin's foul personality, rebellious over tones and general terrible hygiene doesn't absolutely drive him up the wall they might be able to get along. Quentin has a habit of biting off more then he can chew. Maybe one of his social disorder rants on campus gets to be too much? Maybe he just gets into a fight he couldn't handle? I'm not saying he'd appreciate Walter pulling his fat out of the fire, but he'd take it.

Ben & Walter- Ben is a massively cantankerous old man. But he's easy going about people near him and generally nicer then what people say he is. In a way he has a similar reputation as Walter- loner, maybe a serial killer...etc..etc...whatever other wild conspiracies that kids will come up with when no one else is listening. Ben leaves his office a lot to limp the campus, have a smoke, get a coffee that sort of thing.
PM »
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Mar 3 2015, 05:14 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

QUOTE (Squeeji @ Mar 2 2015, 09:11 PM)
I'm gonna hit this back up again and see if you'd still be interested in one of the above interacts OR...some of my newer characters.

Quentin & Walter- Quentin is BFFs and roommates with Julio, one of the other groundskeepers (let that one sink in for a moment lol).  But given that he's probably always hanging around, him and Walter probably know each other and so long as Quentin's foul personality, rebellious over tones and general terrible hygiene doesn't absolutely drive him up the wall they might be able to get along.  Quentin has a habit of biting off more then he can chew.  Maybe one of his social disorder rants on campus gets to be too much?  Maybe he just gets into a fight he couldn't handle?  I'm not saying he'd appreciate Walter pulling his fat out of the fire, but he'd take it.

Ben & Walter- Ben is a massively cantankerous old man.  But he's easy going about people near him and generally nicer then what people say he is.  In a way he has a similar reputation as Walter- loner, maybe a serial killer...etc..etc...whatever other wild conspiracies that kids will come up with when no one else is listening.  Ben leaves his office a lot to limp the campus, have a smoke, get a coffee that sort of thing.

Both of those sound pretty good. Each has the promise of some good RP. Not sure precisely how Walt would react to either of them, but it sounds like there is enough character between them all to bounce posts off each-other for quite a time.

Whichever you'd prefer to have an outing with, I'd be happy to have Walter grumble at for a bit... ;)
PM »Email
^
Squeeji
 Posted: Mar 3 2015, 12:10 PM
N/A
Advanced Member
Group Icon

Then I will get something out in the next day or so. ~*A MYSTERY*~ (actually I'll think about it while I'm at work today lol).
PM »
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Mar 4 2015, 07:47 AM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

Sounds good. My best posts are typed at work... ;)
PM »Email
^
Walter von Richtofen
 Posted: Apr 29 2015, 12:42 PM
Solificati
Groundsman
Group Icon

Okay, so I have purposefully left Walter out of the SWP.

Sounds strange, but I am thinking that, if he is not involved in that thread, he can enjoy lots of threads when the SWP closes with people essentially telling him what went on.

Not sure if my gambit will pay off like that, but consider this an open call for RP with anyone who wants to ruminate on the weird goings on relating to the SWP threads.

PM »Email
^
Sutharsan Lnu
 Posted: Apr 29 2015, 02:21 PM
Unregistered

Always willing to chat, but guess we would have to see what kind of a relationship these two end up having in the past, hah.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll