- Discern Composition The mage can determine what sort of materials went into the composition, the density, the weight, and other characteristics of any given object.
- Find the Hidden Hoard: With a wave of a hand and carefully chosen words, the mage can reveal hidden doors, safes, vaults, and other obfuscated compartments within any form of inanimate matter.
- Unseen Aegis: Through manipulating the very air around himself, the mage wraps himself in an invisible "cushion" to blunt the inertia of incoming attacks. This shield dulls the effects of any direct attack; punches don't hit as hard, bullets are notably slowed, and flames are weakened through air moisture. Attacks can not be prevented entirely, but even lethal attacks are less likely to leave mortal wounds.
- Jury-Rig: Sometimes, the mage just needs something to function or to suit a specific purpose. Jury-Rig allows him to do just that. By combining materials and devices, the mage can either return a damaged object to functionality or even add new properties to an already functioning machine. For example: a stereo can be combined with an mp3 player to restore function or a nail gun and a shotgun can be combined to make a shotgun that shoots a barrage of nails.
- Transmogrification: This spell allows the mage to turn any single liquid or solid substance into any other liquid or solid substance. This allows any object to be turned into any other, excluding gaseous materials. Thus lead can become gold, water can be turned to stone, or plastic rendered into gasoline.
- Transmute Air: This spell allows the mage to turn any single gaseous substance into any other gaseous substance. Thus oxygen can be turned into laughing gas, nerve gas into oxygen, and countless other combination become possible
- Alter Properties: The mage can now alter the very characteristics of liquids and solids. Density, size/quantity, weight, and more can now be altered while retaining any properties preferred. Featherlight steel, hyper-dense water, and other miraculous substances become possible with this spell.Prime:
- Sense the Supernatural: The mage can read the aura of another individual, but unlike the Mind power of similar purpose the aura perceived tells the mage nothing about emotions or mental states. Instead, the mage sees evidence in the aura of what sort of supernatural creature or supernatural influence has affected the subject.
- Magic Shield: By weaving magic into a grid around herself, the mage can create a shield to protect her from direct magic attacks. A bolt of lightning would have its effect halved by the shield, but the shield would do nothing to defend the caster against falling after the floor underneath them has been magically collapsed.Personality:
Upon first meeting Dexter most people will note that he seems a little strange, chatty, but not terrible. An astute person might pick up on the fact that he will happily talk with a stranger, but will quickly turn the conversation around if it becomes too focused on himself. They might notice how he only ever drinks from his own water bottle and/or hip flask, how he keeps meticulous notes about everything
in some cryptic shorthand, or how he always seems prepared for emergencies small or large.
If one spends any length of time around Dexter, his true lunacy will show itself in a blaze of glory. After verifying that a stranger is not one of Them
(usually by means of a farcical cross-examination compared to his notes), he will happily share his “research”. Everything from the imminent revelation of the Lizard People (Look at Steven Inconnue’s wife!), to the infiltration of the Columbiana School Board by cyborgs (Some of them didn’t pass the Turing test!), to the fact that 9/11 was an inside job orchestrated by magi (Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams, but magic can!). His belief of conspiracies shows no bounds and is perhaps only overshadowed by his rampant and heavy drug use. History:
No one knows much about Dexter’s history, other than Dexter himself. Despite his loquaciousness, he is surprisingly tight lipped about his own past. Some of his stories contradict each other (out of necessity, he claims), and no one knows his birth date or even his birth year. There are a few common threads that do seem to hold up under closer examination: Dexter has two sisters (whom he is no longer in contact with), and he was born in Saskatchewan, and he has seen some shit.
Though there are no verifiable sources, Dexter did have a fairly typical childhood. It wasn’t until late adolescence, after heavy drug use, that he Awakened. It was a rocky start and snowballed into near crippling paranoia that stalled his progression through school. It led to him transferring to Columbiana, and after a few extra years (and more than a meager helping of barbiturates), he did eventually graduate.
He quickly discovered the like-minded Watchtowers and realized he had found his people
. Though he remained naturally suspicious of some members, he became utterly devoted to their cause and has actively dedicated his life to keeping detailed notes on all dangerous magi and and all manner of magical machinations (encrypted of course, he won’t let just anyone read his notes).